A pry bar is considered as a very important tool designed for various purposes. Aside from its primary use in prying, it can also be used for tasks such as molding, scraping, opening paint can lids, as well as in pulling nails. They are important tools which should be present in any home, particularly if you consider yourself as a DIY enthusiast, or a tradesman.
Most pry bars these days feature innovative designs which help in accessing spaces that are hard-to-reach. They are generally useful when pulling out nails from difficult locations. If you are planning to get one, it is recommended to browse through the items in this review first, so that you will have an idea which features make a pry bar a good option, as well as those that need to be avoided.
Table of Contents
- What is The Best Flat Pry Bars in 2018? Comparison Table
- 1. Mayhew 61366 Dominator Pry Bar Set – Best Overall Flat Pry Bar Set
- 2. Vaughan B215 15-Inch Long Original SuperBar – Best Design for a Pry Bar
- 3. Stanley 55-525 15-inch Super Wonder Bar Pry Bar – Most Versatile Pry Bar
- 4.TEKTON 3324 18-Inch Wrecking Bar – Best Heavy Duty Wrecking Bar
- 5. Titan Tools 17007 3-Piece Pry Bar and Scraper Set – Best Pry Bar and Scraper Set
- 6. Dasco Pro 91 Pry Bar Set – Best Multi-Purpose Pry Bar Set
- 7. Estwing Nail Puller – 18″ I-Beam Pry Bar – Best Lightweight Pry Bar
- 8. DEWALT DWHT55518 13-Inch Spring Steel Flat bar – Extra Wide Prying
- 9. Vestil SKB-DLX Deluxe Steel Pallet Buster with Handle – Best Pallet Buster
- 10. Stanley 55-045 7-1/2-inch Wonder Bar Ii Pry Bar – Best Small Sized Pry Bar
- How to Choose the Best Pry Bars?
What is The Best Flat Pry Bars in 2018? Comparison Table
1. Mayhew 61366 Dominator Pry Bar Set – Best Overall Flat Pry Bar Set
This pry bar set from Mayhew is composed of 5 heavy duty pry bars which are designed for different purposes. The inclusion of tools of different sizes means that regardless of the task that you may have at hand, there is a pry bar that can help you out. These pry bars have ends that are curved, thus providing an enhanced leverage, especially when working on tighter areas. These bars also use a patented, comfortable, 2-composite handles which allow them to be gripped securely.
- Curved ends
- Provide better prying leverage
- Patented ergonomically designed handle
- Metal striking cap included
- Uses black oxide finish for rust protection
- Some may have issues with the bars being heavy weight
2. Vaughan B215 15-Inch Long Original SuperBar – Best Design for a Pry Bar
This 15-Inch Long Original SuperBar is a very important tool for tradesmen and homeowners. It is equipped with a rocker head designed, referred to as “Shepherd’s Crook”, thus providing maximum power for prying. With its 15-inch length, excellent leverage can be accepted. This tool is also highly useful for scraping, molding and pulling nails. In terms of durability, this superbar has been forged using spring tempered steel, designed for heavy duty use. With regard to design, there are three beveled nail slots, as well as sharp, polished blades for easy insertion.
- Ideal for tradesmen or homeowners
- Long bar offers excellent leverage
- Rocker head design
- Heavy duty use
- Easy insertion
- Some have issues with nail removal
3. Stanley 55-525 15-inch Super Wonder Bar Pry Bar – Most Versatile Pry Bar
This super wonder bar pry bar from Stanley is 15 inches in length, and is designed for easier prying, nail removal and lifting. With this length, it offers extra reach, as well as better leverage. Since it is also designed with a tight bend angle, it also ensures better precision in positioning. This pry bar also features an arch located in the center, thus removing the need to use a wood block in order to achieve the needed swinging movement for pulling nails. This bar also serves as a panel lift. All you have to do is to place the pry end just under the panel, pressing down the end using your foot for a convenient and hands-free use.
- Easier prying
- Extra reach and more leverage
- More precise positioning
- Doubles as a panel lift
- Arched center
- May not be good for roofing
4.TEKTON 3324 18-Inch Wrecking Bar – Best Heavy Duty Wrecking Bar
This 18 inch wrecking bar is designed to really do the job. It is a powerhouse design which can handle even the toughest demolition job that you need to complete. It features a precisely-machined, and sharp chisel ends which easily slide into even the tightest crevices and cracks in order to pry up those deck boards while tearing apart some wall studs. It also has a high-leverage hook end which uses a deep V nail slot, allowing you to yank even the most stubborn nails from any surface.
- Designed for heavy duty use
- Precisely machined chisel ends
- High leverage hook end
- High strength hex treated hex bar stock
- Some may have issues with its light weight
5. Titan Tools 17007 3-Piece Pry Bar and Scraper Set – Best Pry Bar and Scraper Set
This set from Titan Tools comes with 3 pieces of pry bars, all of which are designed with sharp scraper ends. These bars have been designed out of mirror polished stainless steel, making them ideal for tack and nail pulling. These pry bars serve multiple purposes, including serving as chisels, scrapers, pry bars, tack pullers, and others.
- Multipurpose pry bars
- Sharp scraper edges
- Stainless steel construction
- Ideal for tack and nail pulling
- Mirror polished finish
- Some users experience rusting after a year of use
6. Dasco Pro 91 Pry Bar Set – Best Multi-Purpose Pry Bar Set
This pry bar set is composed of three pry bars, designed to suit a wide range of scraping and prying applications. This kit also includes the most common small bars for professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike. The bars can be used for pry trimming, molding, scraping excess paint, pulling nails, as well as opening paint cans.
- Easy to use
- Highly durable
- Complete set
- Designed for light duty use
7. Estwing Nail Puller – 18″ I-Beam Pry Bar – Best Lightweight Pry Bar
This beam pry bar from Estwing is primarily marketed as a nail puller. As such, this model features a beveled nail slot. Its construction also provides additional strength as it removes weight. With its rocking head design, you can expect maximum leverage coming from this pry bar. In terms of design, it uses forged, tempered, and one piece I-beam construction for overall strength.
- Double polished hammer face
- Lightweight pry bar
- Beveled nail slot
- Maximum leverage
- May not work well with heavy duty use
8. DEWALT DWHT55518 13-Inch Spring Steel Flat bar – Extra Wide Prying
This flat bar from DEWALT is constructed using spring steel, thus ensuring durability and strength. It also features an extra wide prying end, thus giving assurance to better leverage, as well as pry surface. It also comes with a number of nail pullers, thus giving it the capacity to be flexible. With its pointed beveled ends, penetration and pulling of nail becomes easier. The manufacturer of this product also guarantees its overall toughness. DEWALT is also a respected manufacturer of equipment and tools used by both professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike.
- added durability and strength
- extra wide prying
- better leverage
- toughness guaranteed
- some issue with angling
9. Vestil SKB-DLX Deluxe Steel Pallet Buster with Handle – Best Pallet Buster
This model is designed primarily in disassembling pallets quite easily. It features an articulating head that easily removes those pallet boards without having to worry about breaking, or even splitting the wood. As such, it may also be used for removing dock board. If you need clean surfaces for your woodworking projects, this is the tool that you need to have.
- Deluxe pallet buster
- Versatile articulating head
- Durable construction
- May also be used for dock board removal
- Only focuses on pallet busting
10. Stanley 55-045 7-1/2-inch Wonder Bar Ii Pry Bar – Best Small Sized Pry Bar
Stanley is a well-respected model in this industry. They have manufactured a number of products that received positive feedback from users. The 55-045 model 045 7-1/2-inch Wonder Bar Ii Pry Bar from Stanley is one that uses tempered steel construction. As such, it has the capacity to withstand bending momentum up to 310 inch pounds. Thus, it gives you with a highly durable and strong product. This tool is also treated using heat, thus assuring improved durability. It also features a powder coated finish.
- Tempered steel construction
- Withstands bending momentum
- Highly durable unit
- Heat treated for increased durability
- Powder coated finish
- Some do not like its small size
How to Choose the Best Pry Bars?
Pry Bars come in various shapes and sizes. Regardless of how they look, the working mechanism is based on the principle of leverage. The following are also some of the factors that you need to consider when choosing the best pry bars.
When looking for a pry bar, take note of the features that are included. In terms of the type of the pry bar, you can choose depending on their purpose of use. Among the options are crow bar, pallet removal bar, digging bar, wrecking bar, and more.
Dimensions should also be considered, which includes the actual length of the bar, width of the claw, and more. You may also want to look into the material used. Among the most common materials are titanium, carbon and steel. There are extras too, including the handle type, head shape, and more.
- Design and Construction
The actual strength and performance of a pry bar is primarily dependent on its design and construction material used. The material used should be strong enough to possibly withstand amounts of pressure with which it will be put on. As they work on the principle of leverage, a huge amount of force is typically involved.
- Ease of Use and Performance
Most manufacturers of pry bars create units with long and flat handles. These handles are joined to a forked end. They are typically flattened to the end in order to fit inside crevices and fissures. This forked-end, referred to as the claw, may also be used in forcing crates open, pulling out tacks and nails.
Pry bars are typically sold as a single unit, or in sets. The cost depends on factors including the features, construction material used, as well as the brand. Therefore, when choosing a flat pry bar, you also have to consider the amount that you are willing to spend for a unit.
Best Flat Pry Bars in 2018 List(Auto Updated)
By looking into the list of items included in the reviews above, choosing the best flat pry bars has become easier. As you may have noticed, there are products coming from various brands, allowing you to make a comparison on the features that suits your needs best. With the guide on how to choose the best flat pry bars, you also have an idea on the features that you need to have, as well as those that you may want to avoid. In the end, it is still your needs and preferences that should be given priority.