Hockey is a popular and universal game. Anyone who loves sports should show interest in hockey. Hockey has a relation with cultures and ancient times which made it more exciting.
There are various types of hockey, and different types of hockey are played in various parts of the world. Generally, the types of hockey are-
- Ice Hockey
- Ice Sledge Hockey
- Field Hockey
- Roller Hockey (inline and quad)
- Street Hockey and so on.
In this writing, we will particularly talk about ice hockey which is one of the famous types of hockey. Let’s start by knowing what ice hockey is.
What is Ice Hockey?
Ice hockey is a team sport that is played on a special ice rink surface. In the 19th century, sport Ice hockey originated in Canada, and at present, perhaps it is Canada’s most famous sport.
Furthermore, Ice hockey has become one of the most famous international games, and it is also an Olympic sport. More than million of registered ice hockey players are there in the world.
Origin of Ice Hockey
Let’s now know a little about the origin of this game. Before the 1980s it was commonly believed by people that ice hockey originated from English field hockey and Indian lacrosse. Later in the middle of the 1980s, it was spread to the whole of Canada by British soldiers.
However, one research then mentioned that in the early 1800s a hockey-like game used to play in the Nova Scotia which was then influenced by the Irish sport Hurling. In Hurling instead of a ball, a square wooden block and a Hurley were included. Research shows, it was the game that has been spread to Canada by the British army as well as Irish and Scottish colonists.
The object of this sport
Basically, the object of this game is to hit a small puck across the ice and to hit the puck with a hockey stick into a goal. Let me share a piece of information about the puck. Before puck hockey was played with a small ball and in 1860, the puck had been used for the first time in hockey in Ontario, Canada, Kingston Harbour.
However, whenever the puck goes into the goal that the team owns one point. On the ice the puck will be passed among the players and the opposite team’s players will try to stop the other team from getting the score.
At the end of the game, the team with the most goals will be declared as the winning team. If the game ends with a score-level, there will be extra time. In that case, the team who scores first will be the ultimate winning team.
Basics of Ice Hockey
- The game starts with a face-off in the centre circle. There the referee drops the puck between two opposing players. Then those two opponents scrap to win for their team, after a stoppage, the resumes with a face-off.
- In three 20 minutes period, the matches of ice hockey are played
- One ice hockey team includes a maximum of 20 players which consists of two goaltenders. However, only 6 players from each team will be allowed to stay on the ice rink at a time. During the game replacement of players can be done at any point.
- Players can apply physical force to own the puck from their opponent. Body checking and other physical contact are allowed from the side and front, but purposeful checking from behind is subject of penalty.
- Players committing a minor penalty will be out of the ice for two minutes. Meanwhile, the team will play with the existing 5 players. In between those two minutes if the opposition scores, then the player will be allowed to come back in the ice ring instantly.
- Tumbling an opponent player with the hockey stick, holding the opponent player’s hands or stick, without the puck body checking of an opponent leads to result in a minor penalty.
- On the other hand, significant penalties result in removing a player from the ice for almost 5 minutes. Major penalties are fighting, continuous minor violations, causing severe injury on opposite team’s players, etc.
Also Read : List of Top 10 Best Men Masquerade Masks in 2020
Women’s Ice Hockey
Though hockey is considered a male sport, women’s are playing this game for more than 100 years. Besides men, hockey is a well-known sport among women. In 1892 the first all-female game was held in Barrie, Ontario and in 1990 the first world championship was held.
By considering its popularity, the International Olympic Committee included the women ice hockey in its 1998 program at Nagano, Japan.
Among various types of hockey ice hockey is one popular type, and both men and women play it. I hope from the above writing, you have gained adequate knowledge about what is ice hockey as well as some basic rules of hockey.